The Word Waiter’s Belfast PR dudes and Sustainable Pulse have been investigating what’s out there in the world of sustainable food apps – here’s what they found:
1. Take a look at Seasons (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad) if you need help keeping track of what fruit and veg is in season locally. It covers N America, Australia and Europe.
2. Harvest – Select the best produce (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad) is a USA-focused app which helps you identify good fruit and veg, giving the low-down on everything from typical pesticide residue levels to the best storage options.
3. Fooducate (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Android) is a snazzy app which gives you GMO information on over 200,000 products sold across the USA, as well as advice on ingredients and nutritional value.
4. Non GMO Project Shopping Guide (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad) is a USA-focused app which helps you keep your shopping GMO free by listing the products enrolled in the project’s product verification program.
5. If you’re seeking the low down on additives, allergies, and more besides, check out USA-focused app Don’t Eat That (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad).
6. Lapka (iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad) even lets you turn your iPhone into a personal environment monitor, for checking humidity, radiation, electromagnetic fields and the nitrate levels in your nosh.
7. Do you ever find yourself wondering what that e-number means? Food Additives Checker (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad) provides a super handy way to check over 500 food additives.
8. Want to grow your own food but don’t have anywhere to do it? If you’re in the UK, try Landshare (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad).
9. Green Egg Shopper – Shopping List (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad) is great if you’re trying to cut your food waste by keeping a close watch on use-by dates.
10. And Good Fish Guide (iPhone, iPod touch and iPad) is a UK-focused app which helps you find the most sustainable fish via information provided by the Marine Conservations Society (MCS). If you’re in the North America, have a look at Seafood Watch (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad).